New to Medicare: Learn the basics
Find out what Medicare plans Aetna offers.
When am I eligible?
For the most part, you're Medicare eligible if:
- You're age 65 or older
- You're under 65 with certain disabilities
- You have ESRD (end-stage renal disease – permanent kidney failure treated with dialysis or a transplant) or ALS (Lou Gehrig disease), regardless of your age
You can apply for Medicare:
- Starting three months before your 65th birthday
- The entire month of your 65th birthday
- Ending three months after your 65th birthday
- For a total enrollment period of seven months
It's easy to apply using one of the ways below:
- Sign up for Social Security benefits at your local Social Security office
- Visit www.ssa.gov
- Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY/TDD: 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
You'll get your Medicare card in the mail once your eligibility is confirmed. Then you can make your plan selections and enroll in the Medicare plan that’s right for you.
If you already receive Social Security benefits, you don't need to do anything. A Medicare card should be sent to you:
- Three months before your 65th birthday or
- The 25th month of receiving disability benefits
What type of plan is best for me?
LET’S TALK. Call our representatives at 1-888-247-1028
(TTY/TDD: 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET, seven days a week
Copyright © 2001-2013 Aetna Inc.
Choose the plan that's right for you.
Y0001_M_OT_WB_207239_R1 CMS Approved
Page Last Updated: January 22, 2013